A second-generation attorney from a family of attorneys, Randolph James was born to practice law. However, his drive remained dormant until sparked to life by a five-week stint on a Delaware criminal jury. He could not help being swayed by the allure of the courtroom and the drama that unfolded. (Three prosecution witnesses in the narcotics case were gunned down during the trial.)
Attorney James' love of the courtroom has not wavered. He has tried hundreds of cases before juries involving claims ranging from personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice and product liability to professional malpractice and sexual harassment. In fact, he prepares every case as if it will go to trial.
Before his service on that fateful jury, Randolph James went to architect school. The math and physics aspects of his training provide a unique perspective when dealing with the technical aspects of the law. His experiences in business and working in the construction industry also afford him a significant understanding of construction defect claims and injuries to workers, as well as other types of injuries. Additionally, his skills as an amateur photographer permit him to thoroughly document his investigations.
Perhaps his most significant talent lies in aviation. As a pilot for more than 43 years, Randolph James has been able to reach clients across North Carolina and litigate cases in any courthouse in the state. He also has put his piloting abilities to charitable use, volunteering for regular Airlift Hope of America and Angel Flight transports of seriously ill patients.
His dynamic skills are widely recognized among his peers and in the judiciary. He was appointed to the first committee to study the feasibility of a State Bar Specialty Practice Area for civil trials. He also serves as a Superior Court mediator.
Attorney James is very selective in the cases he accepts. This ensures each client receives highly-focused representation from an attorney who firmly believes in the cases he litigates.
Miscellaneous Information: Member, North Carolina State Bar Committee on Personal Injury Trial Law Specialization, 1994-1997. Superior Court Mediator. Airlift Hope of America Pilot. Angel Flight Pilot. Private Pilot, Instrument Rated.
- Ausley v. Bishop, 515 S.E. 2d 72, 1999, N.C. App., 1999123959
- Hogan v. City of Winston-Salem, 344 N.C. 728, 477 S.E. 2d 150, 1996, N.C., 1996248635
- Hogan v. City of Winston-Salem, 121 N.C. App. 414. 4665 Ed 303, 1996, N.C. App., 1996047593
- Investors Title Ins. Co. v. Herzig, 330 N.C. 681, 413 S.E. 2d 268, 1992, N.C., 1992030344
- Triad Bank v. Educational Consultants, Inc., 405 S.E. 2d 800, 1991, N.C. App., 1991126066
- Travco Hotels, Inc. v. Piedmont Natural Gas, 102 N.C. App. 659, 403 S.E. 2d 593, 1991, N.C. App., 1991088640
- United Teachers Association Insurance Co. v. MacKeen & Bailey, Inc., 99 F 3d 645, 1996, 5th Cir. Tex., 1996244269
- The In Porters, S.A. v. Hanes Printables, Inc., 663 F. Supp. 494, 56 USLW 2026, 1987, M.D.N.C., 1987077762
- Winston-Salem Personal Injury Attorney
- Winston-Salem Sexual Harassment Lawyer
- Winston-Salem Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Winston-Salem Professional Malpractice Lawyer
- Winston-Salem Products Liability Attorney
- Employment Law -- Employee
- Legal Malpractice
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Termination -- Employee
- North Carolina, 1981
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- J.D. - 1981
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
- B.A. - 1976
- Honors: Moot Court Board
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Architecture
- Major: Environmental Design
- American Association for Justice, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member, Committee on Personal Injury Trial Law Specialization, 1994 to 1997
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Transportation Safety Board Bar
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Superior Court Mediator
- Airlift Hope of America Pilot
Classes & Seminars
- Update on Rico, North Carolina Association of Trial Lawyers, 1989 to 1989
- Sanctions Under The Rules, North Carolina Bar Association, 1991 to 1991
- K & W Restaurants, Inc.
- First Union National Bank
- Nations Bank
- BB&T Brower Banking & Trust Company