Emily Watson was born and raised in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. In May 2013 she graduated, cum laude, from the University of North Carolina Wilmington with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and a minor in Philosophy. Anticipating a career in law, Ms. Watson studied International Criminal Justice in The Hague, Paris, Orleans, Stockholm, and Gothenburg. During her study, she observed proceedings in The International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia and the International Criminal Court's Democratic Republic of the Congo prosecutions.
After graduating in three years from UNCW, her law school studies began at UNC Chapel Hill. She served as Vice President of the Federalist Society and she was a staff member of the First Amendment Law Review. Ms. Watson's internships included the Civil Legal Assistance Clinic in Chapel Hill, the Office of Capital Defender in Durham, and Grainger Law PLLC in Winston-Salem.
Following graduation from UNC Law in 2016, Ms. Watson practiced Criminal Defense as a sole practitioner, and began her association with Randolph M. James PC in 2020.
Ms. Watson enjoys traveling, gardening, reading, spending time with her family, and raising Cooper, her German Shepherd.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2016
- University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina
- B.A. - 2013
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science, concentration in International Affairs
- Minor: Philosophy
- North Carolina, 2017
Fraternities or Sororities
- Alpha Gamma Delta
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Civil Litigation 100%
Classes & Seminars
- Led semester-long seminar class on foreign affairs, Foreign Policy Association, 2012 to 2013
- Pro-bono work for North Carolina Justice Center, 2013 to 2013
- Criminal Defense & Civil Rights, Sole Practitioner, 2017 to 2020